Modern apprenticeships are a way for people of any age to do a job and work towards a qualification while being paid a salary.
The Digital Forensics Level 4 Apprenticeship has been developed to provide a way into a career in digital forensics. It is a tailored course of training that will give new employees the skills needed to support the ever-growing requirement for digital forensics expertise.
Apprenticeships are offered and advertised by employers in the same way as other jobs.
The apprenticeship standard will be published on the Institute for Apprenticeships & Technical Education website in March 2023.
Level 4 DF Apprenticeship for employers
Apprenticeships are a great way to bring new talent into your organisation or to develop the abilities of existing staff. The DF apprenticeship has been developed with a group of employers (including police forces, forensic service providers and professional bodies) to encourage more people to consider a career in DF. You will be responsible for paying your apprentices and supporting them. Their training will be paid for from your Apprenticeship Levy – there are other options if your organisation doesn’t pay the Levy or you've used all of your Levy funds..
Level 4 DF Apprenticeship for employees
The apprenticeship has been developed to help people like you to start a career in digital forensics. Apprenticeships are open to anyone over the age of 18 and there is no upper limit. You will spend approximately 20% of your time engaged in learning activities. During your apprenticeship you will be a full employee of the organisation you work for.
What does Level 4 mean?
Apprenticeships come in various levels. The Digital Forensic Apprenticeship is a Level 4.
What is digital forensics?
Digital forensic science is a branch of forensic science that focuses on the recovery and investigation of material found in digital devices. Digital forensics is the process of identifying, preserving, analysing, and documenting digital evidence.
What if my organisation has used all its Apprenticeship Levy?
If you’ve used all of your Levy you can still take on apprenticeships. The govt will pay 95% of the training costs and you will need to meet the remaining 5%.
What if my organisation doesn’t pay the Levy?
You can still take on apprentices. The govt will pay 95% of the training costs and you will need to meet the remaining 5%.
Can we change the content of the DF apprenticeship?
No. The content of an apprenticeship is set in advance and has to be adhered to. The order and format of the training will depend on the training provider.
Who delivers the training?
There is a list of approved providers here. We are working to identify more providers and will add them to the list when we can. Because there will be relatively low numbers of DF apprentices we anticipate training being provided on a regional basis.
Is it appropriate for young people to work within digital forensics units?
The TB Group considered the impact of viewing traumatic material on brain development and worked with the National Police Wellbeing Service to explore this. An evidenced based paper outlined that it was appropriate, however, a number of recommendations were made to protect those working with such material. The full paper can be accessed here.
- www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/digital-forensic-technician - due to be published March '23
- Digital Forensic Technician DRAFT - College of Policing
- Payments for hiring a young apprentice - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- How to take on an apprentice - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Become an apprentice: What you'll get - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Register of apprenticeship training providers - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Recruit an apprentice: guidance for employers: Funding and eligibility | GOV.WALES